$50 ($0 tax deductible)
Meet other DMA Members with a passion for literature by joining Book Talk!* Enjoy a year of thought-provoking book-club-style events that celebrate the Museum’s permanent collection and special exhibitions with great reads. Book selections and dates can be found here or on the Museum calendar.
Please note, in an effort to be more sustainable, all Book Talk communications will occur via email.
Members of Book Talk also receive these benefits:
- One Book Talk book, chosen by the DMA
* Active membership required to participate in Book Talk. Please email us at members@DMA.org with any questions.
2020 Book Talk events:
Slade House by David Mitchell – Rescheduled to May 17, 2020; this is now a virtual event
Leaping genres, and barreling toward an astonishing conclusion, this intricately woven novel will pull you into a reality-warping new vision of the haunted house story.
Horseman, Pass By by Larry McMurtry – July 12, 2020
Published in 1961, this was the stunning literary debut from the author of Lonesome Dove. "Every line is poetry down and dirty in the mud, right where it belongs." —Publishers Weekly
Inferno by Dante Alighieri – October 4,2020
One of the few literary works that has enjoyed fame both immediate and enduring, The Inferno remains powerful after seven centuries, confronting the most universal values—good and evil, free will and predestination—while remaining intensely personal and ferociously political, for it was born out of the anguish of a man who saw human life blighted by the injustice and corruption of his times.
Past Book Talk reads have included:
- The Muralist, by B. A. Shapiro
- Aura (English and Spanish edition), by Carlos Fuentes
- Clara and Mr. Tiffany, by Susan Vreeland
- The Music Lesson, by Katherine Weber
- Photographs Not Taken, edited by Will Steacy
- The Brilliant History of Color in Art, by Victoria Finlay
- Cat is Art Spelled Wrong, edited by Caroline Casey, Chris Fischbach, and Sarah Schultz
- 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus, by Charles C. Mann
- The Art of Publication with Dr. Roslyn Walker, DMA curator
- Visual Shock, by Michael Kammen
- The Blue Manuscript, by Sabiha Al Khamir
- The Painted Girls, by Cathy Marie Buchanan
- Color: A Natural History of the Palette, by Victoria Finlay
- The Song of Achilles, by Madeline Miller
- Picasso at the Lapin Agile, by Steve Martin
- Broad Strokes: 15 Women Who Made Art and Made History (in That Order), by Bridget Quinn
- With Violets, by Elizabeth Robards
- The Little Dictionary of Fashion, by Christian Dior
- It Chooses You, by Miranda July
Do you have an idea for a great read for our next Book Talk? Email us!