Arturo's Preschool is a free program for preschool, homeschool, and daycare groups serving children ages 3–6. Take an up-close look at a work of art, read a featured picture book, and try out games and movement activities in the Museum galleries. Then explore ideas with an art-making activity in the Art Studio. Program themes and projects change each month, so there is always something new to do.
Upcoming Arturo's Preschool Themes for the 2019–2020 School Year:
September: A Bug's Life
What do bugs do all day? In September, join us as we scurry, creep, and crawl through the galleries to figure out what insects are up to in our works of art.
October: Sense-ible Art
See, hear, smell, taste, and touch—our five senses tell us so much! Get a sensory workout in the galleries and discover the latest art sense-sations.
November: Busy Boats
In November, hop aboard and join us as we set sail along the art galleries in search of boats on the bay.
December: A Friend Like You
Bring a buddy or make a new friend! This December we'll explore works featuring some of our artists' favorite friends.
January: More Than Meets the Eye
Is there just one way to experience art? In January, discover a new method to interact with site–specific art installations in Speechless: Different by Design.
February: No Place Like Home
This February, make yourself at home as we explore the different ways artists depict familiar places, such as their childhood homes.
March: Remarkable Raffia
Explore ingenious creations from West and Central African countries. In March, we'll look at hats, skirts, and other textiles made from palm trees leaves, and then we'll create our own woven accessories.
April: In the Mountains
We love art so much, we're shouting it from the mountaintops! Find high peaks and steep slopes as we explore the mountains of the world in our April class.
May: Best in Show
Calling all dog lovers! This May, sniff out works of art featuring man's best friend, and then create a paws-itively wonderful work of art.
Tips for Scheduling Your Program:
- Arturo's Preschool is offered Tuesday-Friday, September–May at 10:00 a.m. or 11:00 a.m.
- The program lasts 60 minutes and includes group time in the Museum galleries and an art-making activity in the Art Studio.
- Arturo's Preschool is offered in English or Bilingual Spanish. Please let us know when scheduling if Bilingual Spanish is preferred.
- Minimum of 10 students required; maximum of 25 children per class. One adult chaperone is required for every five students.
- Arturo's Preschool is free of charge for students and chaperones when scheduled at least three weeks in advance.
To schedule an Arturo's Preschool program, call 214-922-1828 or email familyprograms@DMA.org.