Art in Bloom Floral Symposium and Festival like none other in Dallas! Presented by the Dallas Museum of Art League benefiting the Dallas Museum of Art
Dallas, TX, March 2, 2005—Lynn Brooks and Susan Robinson, Art in Bloom co-chairs, have elevated the Dallas Museum of Art League's traditional Floral Symposium to a whole new level.
After months of research and calling museums all over the country which produce events similar to the new Art in Bloom, these dynamic ladies formulated a fabulous three-day event that is generating enormous excitement.
"The Boston Museum of Fine Art, the Minneapolis Museum of Art and the Museum of Art in New Orleans draw 3,000 to 20,000 festival visitors and raise significant funds for their respective museums," Ms. Brooks said. "The Dallas festival promises to be an entertaining and informative event to engage and excite the Greater Dallas community for years to come."
Ms. Robinson continued, "We had some major considerations in mind when creating our three-day festival. The festivals in other cities are a tremendous success. They have broadened their activities to involve the entire community, including families and others who may not traditionally attend museum events by offering something fun for everyone. Art in Bloom, by definition of the name, ties the flowers to the art museum which we serve."
Net proceeds from this year-long effort support a floral endowment, art acquisitions, special exhibitions, educational programs and state of the art technology for the Dallas Museum of Art.
Sunday, March 13
Beginning at 11 a.m. as 107.5 The Oasis presents Art in Bloom's Smooth Jazz Sunday Brunch. Seventeen Seventeen restaurant will be hopping with a live jazz brunch featuring the Freddie Jones Band. Cost is $35 per person.
• From1:30 p.m. to 3 p.m., Junior Villanueva from Garden Gate Floral Design, a favorite designer of Dallas’ most elegant hostesses, will illustrate his floral design secrets.
• From 1:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. Docent Tours of The Floral Element—Realism–2D–3D and Floralscapes by Dallas’ top floral designers. Tours begin in the Hamon Atrium.
• At 1:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. Jazz Brunch Package (Brunch, Lecture, & Tour) Cost is $60, which includes general admission to the Museum.
And for the entire family we present Family Day Events, which are free to the public
• Ollimpaxqui Ballet Co. will perform in the Hamon Atrium. For exact performance time, please visit the Museum’s web site at DallasMuseumofArt.org
• 3:30 p.m. to -4:30 p.m. Eddie Coker performs in the Hamon Atrium.
Admission to these activities is included with paid admission to the Museum:
• An art activity based on Anselm Kieffer's artwork which is hanging in the Hamon Atrium and is made with sunflower seeds
• Kids can design their own festive party hats to wear
• O'Keeffe art activity with photographs and possibly a live floral arrangement
• Face Painting by Jodi Beverly
• From 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., Sketching in the Galleries for Kids focused on Calder's Flower
• From 2 p.m. to 2:30 p.m., in the Orientation Theater, Family Film: Linnea in Monet's Garden
• From 3 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., Storytelling by Holly Brenner: Daisy Head Mayzie.
Monday, March 14
The Dallas Museum of Art League presents the Flower Symposium and Fashion Show Luncheon, featuring Jeff Leatham, the internationally renowned Artistic Director of the Four Seasons Hotel George V in Paris, in the Horchow Auditorium, at 9:30 a.m. & 11:45 a.m. Tickets $125 (or with underwriting).
• Luncheon by Wynnwood & Fashion Show sponsored by Tootsie’s; Hamon Atrium 11:15 a.m. & 1:15 p.m.
• Docent Tours 10:30 a.m. & 12:45 p.m.
Tuesday, March 15, 2005
Tuesday highlights include a Master Class with Jeff Leatham in the Seventeen Seventeen Corner Room, from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. This event currently is limited to underwriters. If becomes available, tickets may be purchased for $ 125. For reservations, please call 214-922-1839.
And a fun day full of Floral Design Workshops:
• From 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., Angela Farlis Schwartz, cost is $50
• From 11 a.m. to noon, Luis Andrade, Luis Andrade Designs, cost is $50
• From 1 p.m. to 2 p.m., cost is $50
• From 2:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Lucy Rivas, Bella Flora of Dallas, cost is. $50
(Each workshop is limited to 30 participants)
Docent Tours of The Floral Element—Realism–2D–3D, and Floralscapes by Dallas’s, top floral designers at 1:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. Tours begin in the Hamon Atrium. Afternoon Tea with Piano Accompaniment in the Hamon Atrium is from 3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Both co-chairs want to express their heartfelt thanks to honorary chairman, Cynthia R. Mitchell and founding benefactor, Mrs. Eugene McDermott.
"It all began as a dream of Mrs. McDermott's to bring flowers into the museum and we had successful floral symposiums for six years. Then, when Ms. Mitchell was League president, she formulated a long range planning committee which in turn, was the spark that ignited this exciting event," Ms. Robinson said. "She has been an invaluable support and we are so thankful for her advice and nurturing our ideas through these past many months."
"Part of creating this new event was creating a new identity that brands the event. And to do so, we created the new logo," said Ms. Brooks.
Jeff Kindig, Ms. Brooks husband, spent many hours working with fresh cut flowers arranged into a frame and developed the Art in Bloom logo.
"His talent in creating this fabulous logo is amazing," she said.
Ms. Robinson continues, "We have always been passionate about the arts and my husband, Paul, has been a tremendous support and sounding board. He was key in helping us secure Jeff Leatham as our keynote speaker when we met Jeff in Paris. We must remember our strong committee. We are very lucky to have such talented and professional women involved and leading this huge effort to benefit the Museum."
Everyone expresses their gratitude to sponsors:
• Air transportation provided by American Airlines.
• Hotel accommodations provided by The Adolphus.
• Promotional support provided by Dallas Home Design magazine and Smooth Jazz 107.5 The Oasis.
Join in the fun of Art in Bloom Floral Symposium and Festival. For tickets, sponsorship and underwriting opportunities, call 214-922-1839.